Sunday, October 18, 2015

The YEAR of Many FIRSTS Including this BLOG Post!!


  As I sit here and think about what I want to blog about today, I can't help but think about how I used the iPads in my classroom last year vs. how I have used them to date.  I first received my set of iPads last year because I am a Speed 21 teacher.  After the initial shock of not having desktop computers in my classroom,  I came to the realization that those type of computers were not coming back to the classroom and I really did enjoy having the extra space that I had without that big computer table in my room.  Last year, I will admit that I used the iPads primarily for Lexia, AR testing, QR codes for my listening station and for QR Hunts around the school.  Every once in a while, we used the camera for different things and I would try a math app every now and then, but I was not consistent and my kids were not really creating anything themselves.  This year, to date, my 1st graders have already used the iPad for the Pic Collage App to create different ways to make a number and have taken pictures around the school of nouns (persons, places and things) that they then downloaded into a 3 way template they found on the Pic Collage App to sort them into person, place or thing.  They have amazed me with the things they have been able to do on this APP and we are just getting started!!  They have been very EXCITED every time that I say we are going to use the iPads and of course there will be many more times to come! 












  Then, not knowing the excitement level I had with what we have done so far would Escalate x4 when I introduced them to the Kahoot APP...LOL!  Last week, my class played our first ever Kahoot game that reviewed the 3 forms of energy.  The enthusiasm and energy level in my classroom that came with this game was AMAZING!  I have included a link to a video of my classroom so that you can get a glimpse of their excitement.  I hope that it gets you excited to use it too!  I plan to use this game frequently this year.  Even my own 8th grader says that she plays it at school too and LOVES it!  :)
Kahoot Game: https://goo.gl/photos/p4Y1m8CiVPt68X3N7
  I can admit that I was never ever scared of using/trying the iPads in my classroom, I was just not sure exactly how to use them.  With the training that has been provided this year, I can say that I feel very comfortable to try any APP now and will enjoy using them throughout this school year with my 1st graders.  I am lucky to have been given the opportunity...YAY!  :)









3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. I am still like you were last year but I have hopes of increasing my IPAD knowledge and use as the year progresses. I could not do that without the training we are receiving! Good luck as you continue to use new APPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Brandi! I agree! The training has been very helpful! Thank you for the encouragement! :)

      Delete